Is It Depression?
We all feel sad sometimes but for most of us, with time, these feelings pass. A diagnosis of actual or clinical depression occurs if you have had these feelings almost daily, for a large portion of the day) and it has lasted more than 2 weeks. In this article, we will explore the best natural treatments for depression. It is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans will experience an episode of depression in their lifetime.
The Many Forms of Depression:
- Major/Severe – this type basically interferes with your ability to function
- Persistent Depressive Disorder – This last at least 2 years
- Perinatal – Occurs during pregnancy or after delivery
- Psychotic – This type occurs when there is severe depression along with psychosis
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – This usually occurs in parts of the world where there is little sun or it can come and go with the seasons.
What Causes Depression?
Research shows that depression can be caused by a combination of psychological, genetic, biological or environmental factors. Also, certain types of medications can cause depression.
Are You Depressed – Self Quiz
Are you feeling hopeless, empty or sad on a daily basis?
Do you have a hard time concentrating, making decisions or remembering?
Are you losing interest in being with family or friends?
Do you have feelings of worthlessness, guilt or helplessness?
Are you having trouble sleeping?
Have you felt like this for over 2 weeks?
Has your appetite increased or decreased?
Do you feel pessimistic?
Are you fatigued or have a lack of energy?
Are you irritable or restless?
Do you have thoughts of death or suicide? If you are in crisis, call 911 or the 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255.
How To Deal with Depression
The first step is to visit your physician to rule out any health conditions that may be presenting depressed emotions. If that visit goes well and you are given the all clear, you may want to talk with a therapist. If you are offered anti-depressants, understand that it can take 2-4 weeks for them to get into your system and start working. There are risks with these so please do your research.
If you have a house of worship, you may want to call to see if counseling is offered there as well. Often times, the lack of spiritual connection can make a person feel sad and blue.
How You Can Help Yourself
- Try to get some exercise. It is a natural mood booster and will make you feel a bit better.
- Listen to music you like as it can be a form of therapy in and of itself.
- Find a person who is a “safe place to fall” for you…someone you can confide in.
- Avoid self-medicating…it will only make you feel worse afterward. That’s a guarantee.
- Prioritize your to do list and break up into small tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
Best Natural Treatments for Depression
There are some wonderful supplements that can help with mood. If you are not in crisis or feel that your depression is getting in the way functioning on a daily basis, you may want to try some natural remedies.
A product I highly recommend to my patients is Mood Boost. It contains Magnesium which aids in sleep and relaxation. It has 5HTP which helps to synthesize neurotransmitters like Seratonin (one of the “feel good” chemicals in the brain) and is associated with sleep, mood, and relaxation. It also contains L-Tyrosine which is an amino acid and is very effective in reducing stress and anxiety.
The best natural treatment for depression and anxiety is the one that works for you!
I am a Board Certified Holistic Healthcare Practitioner. I am not a physician. Please check with your doctor before taking any supplements.
As always, if you have any question or would like to leave a comment, please do so in the box below this article.